I have said this a few times over the past month, but it’s really surreal to reflect on the last year, to realize all that has happened since our little Otis boy came into our lives. A year ago we were living in Australia, decorations still on the walls, routine still in place. I had resigned to the fact that Otis was NOT going to come early like his sister, so I was surprised when I started having contractions a few days early. Otis came into the world very fast, and it was such a shock! I was happy it happened that way, though, after a very long labor and birth with Eleanor. All that to say, since his birth, we had my parents in Australia, adjusted to life as a family of four, and then we began preparing for our move back to the States. Selling things, shipping things, hanging out with friends and our church. Then the day came, and we flew around the world with a few bags and a lifetime of memories and friendships, completely changed from the people we went there as nearly a decade prior. Since arriving back in the U.S., there have been a million adjustments and transitions, and we are still figuring out so many things out. There have been many challenges and many victories, and I have been so grateful that we have Mr. Otis with us for it all. He’s such a special part of our family, and I am grateful for the joy he brings to everyone around him. Happy 1st Birthday sweet boy!
Highlights & Milestones
Otis has gotten even more adventurous and mobile this month. He is e-v-e-r-y-w-h-e-r-e! If someone opens the back door, he’s there in a flash. He always wants to be outside, racing to get there anytime he sees an opportunity. Front porch sitting hasn’t happened as much this month because he wants to get down and get into the dirt. If Otis is awake, he’s moving it seems. Just last week, a few days before his birthday, he took his first few steps. We were downtown at an Air B&B that Robbie’s family was staying at, and he saw something a couple feet away and just walked over to it. It was so unexpected that we all were sort of in disbelief about what had happened. Since then, I am noticing that it almost always has to be Otis’s idea; he won’t do it when prompted.
Sadly, Otis had his first case of Hand, Foot and Mouth. He’s only been sick twice in his life, one time with roseola and then this time. He was so miserable for those first couple days, and it was really heartbreaking. He recovered after a few days, even though he still had so many spots. I am glad that’s over, though, and I am so grateful he was back to his happy self for his birthday party on Saturday.
We went to an apple orchard with the kids for the first time this month, and they both loved it. Otis particularly loved the apples and trying the apple slushies! Towards the end, we let the kids play at the playground for a bit, and Otis, as usual, did not want to leave the swing.
Otis road in our new-to-us jogging stroller for the first time this month, and I think he really enjoyed it. I am sure he’ll enjoy it more and more now that it’s not so hot, though!!
He is making all sorts of sounds and faces, and he loves if people clap for him. He really loves making silly faces at Eleanor, and the two of them can make each other laugh so hard! One thing they’ve been doing that is particularly cute is when Eleanor rides on her little Frozen push car while Otis is at the back pushing her. They still love playing hide-and-seek and chase, too!
- Food – after his birthday smash cake, I’ll put “sugar” on the list! Haha! His other favorite foods right now are any type of crackers, smoothies, fries, bananas, cheerios, sweet potatoes, avocado, cheese, apples.
- He loves water and his milk. He’ll hold his own bottle each time now.
- Being outside, going for walks, sitting on the front porch
- Cars, trucks, etc. – will watch cars drive by all day long!
- Crawling around, cruising around while holding on, climbing things
- Playing chase/peek-a-boo with Eleanor
- Seeing people after being away (aka when Daddy gets home, or when he sees Gaga or Papaw)
- Being thrown in the air, when we fly him around chasing Eleanor
- Water – bath time, water table, splash pad…he loves it all.
- Riding in the shopping cart
- Fun songs – Wheels on the Bus, If You’re Happy and You Know It, etc. – just not Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star bc that means it’s sleep time
- Being tickled
- Playing with Reese, my parent’s dog
- Having his nose wiped
- Being hungry!
- Getting his diaper/clothes changed (unless you come up with the perfect song!)
- If you put him down and he’s not ready for it yet
How Am I Doing?
I am mostly doing good, but this month has been a whirlwind. There have been about a million things going on, and I don’t feel like I have had any down time or breaks. Throwing in Otis’s hand, foot and mouth was certainly not helpful! I am thankful a lot of things are out of the way now, and I can focus on the few major areas that are still quite busy. I am definitely loving this season with both of my kids, though. I love seeing them interact more together and play. We are also slowly but surely getting into more of a routine as the school year has started with mom’s group, church stuff, preschool, etc. I am still working out our schedules in some areas, but we are getting a bit more settled.